The Birth of Gordon Neighbourhood House
On October 2nd, 1942, the basement of the Gordon school at 1005 Jervis Street run by the sisters of the Gordon family became the second community space of its kind in Vancouver. Growth included the development of numerous satellite sites, and in 1985, after many efforts to unify programs and locations, the current location at 1019 Broughton Street was secured and opened. Notable guests at the opening included HRH Prince Charles.
Gordon Neighbourhood House has acted as an extended living room, dining room, and kitchen for West End residents on a daily basis as well as during important historical moments such as the Second World War, the dissolution of the USSR, and the Hong Kong handover.