Community Development Officer—Canada Summer Jobs Program
Internal/External Job Posting
Job Title: Community Development Officer—Canada Summer Jobs Program
Number of Hours
per Week: 21-40*
Number of Positions Available: 1
Anticipated Start Date: September 2021
Contract Length: 280 hours, until February 2022
Hourly Wage $17.12
Gordon Neighbourhood House is an equal opportunity employer. Respect for the dignity and worth of every individual in the workplace is fundamental. Our organizational values are anchored in the importance of diversity, fairness, and trust.
*This temporary position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Program, and equates to 280 hours. All hours must be completed before February 28th, 2022. We are open to part-time and full-time arrangements between twenty-one (21) and forty (40) hours per week. The schedule will be mutually determined by the successful candidate and direct supervisor.
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible, candidates must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment**
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment***; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulation
- **The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
- ***International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student’s time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour market.
The Community Development Officer will work closely with our staff team and volunteers to support internal programs, community outreach, and administrative processes. This role will focus primarily on volunteer engagement, recruitment, and recognition. The role may also include aspects of: neighbor and membership engagement, food programs, participant registration, outreach and communications, survey database and records management, survey social media management, fundraising and donor engagement, and event coordination.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct participant and volunteer surveys
- Update participant, member, and volunteer records and databases
- Connect with neighbours and volunteers to better understand community needs
- Research community resources and identify community needs
- Report writing, communications, and social media support
- Provide office and administrative support
- Enthusiastic and excited about community development work
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong work ethic and motivation
- Comfortable working independently with minimal supervision or on a team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good command of spoken and written English; Additional languages are considered an asset
- Proficient with Microsoft office (particularly Microsoft Word and Excel) and Google Suite
Please email your resume and any
supporting documents to email@example.com with ‘Community Development
Officer’ in the subject line.
We are committed to realizing a team that reflects our diverse community, and encourage all eligible applicants to apply. We appreciate your interest in our organization, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.