2020 Canada Summer Jobs Program – Food Programmer Job Description
Job Title: Food Programmer
Hourly Wage Rate: $17.12 Duration of Position: 8 weeks Number of Hours per Week: 35 Number of Positions Available: 1 Language required for job:English, and additional languages are considered an asset. Preferred Level of Education of the participant: No preference.
The Food Programmer’s responsibilities will support Gordon Neighbourhood House’s (GNH) overall commitment to a fair, just, and equitable food system. This position will work alongside GNH staff to ensure our neighbours have access to healthy and nutritious food. The Food Programmer will work closely with our Chef and Program Support Workers to support initiatives that increase access to food, and highlight the importance of food in our community.
The primary responsibility of this role will involve supporting our chef with food preparation help to produce 200+ nutritious and delicious meals per week.
This position will also assist Gordon
Neighbourhood House to provide programs and services to our community that has
a high proportion of members that are at-risk (e.g. poverty, food insecurity,
Deliverables and Responsibilities:
- Food preparation support to Chef (primary responsibility at 15 hours/week)
- Support emergency food programs
- Produce one recipe card and one information brochure per week
- Produce one cooking class or video cooking tip per month
- Additional food security work and support
*Please Note this position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program, and all applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
*The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student’s time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour market.
Please email your resume and any supporting documents to email@example.com with ‘Food Programmer’ in the subject line. We thank all that apply, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Gordon Neighbourhood House is an equal opportunity employer. Respect for the dignity and worth of every individual in our community is fundamental. Our organizational values are anchored in the importance of diversity, fairness and trust. We are committed to achieving a workforce that reflects our diverse community, and encourage all eligible applicants to apply.