The West End Games Night is held every other Thursday during the summer (6 events in total), in the Jim Deva Plaza from 6:00-9:00pm. Each event requires two shifts of volunteers, who will each complete a 2.5-hour shift.
The first shift (5-7:30pm):
- Arrives at 5:00pm and assists with event set-up by: moving the games cart into position, positioning bistro tables and chairs, arranging board games on the cart, and assembling jumbo-sized games
- At 6:00pm the Games Hosts begin welcoming participants, engaging passersby, and loaning out board games until 7:30pm, with opportunities for frequent breaks.
The second shift (7:30-9:45pm):
- Arrive at 7:30pm and take over hosting responsibilities until 9:00pm when the event finished
- Help disassemble the jumbo-sized games, store board games, and move folding tables and chairs into on-site storage until usually 9:30/9:45pm.
Each shift will involve roughly 2.5 hours of volunteer time. We request that volunteers be available for at least 3 shifts, and ideally commit to all six events. Volunteers are welcome to complete two shifts per evening (5:00-9:45pm). Food and light refreshments will be provided for all volunteers. References are available for volunteers who complete a minimum of 3 shifts.
GAMES HOST ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Assist with event set-up and tear-down: games cart, bistro tables and chairs, and jumbo-sized game activations
– Host games cart and loan out board games cart
– Work directly with the public, participants, and neighbours
– Recruit participants to play board games and jumbo-sized games (giant Jenga, six-sided table tennis)
– Inform participants about Young Ideas and Gordon Neighbourhood House
– Ensure the space is accessible and event is inclusive of everyone.
– Solve any potential issues with tact and diplomacy
– Record attendance and administer surveys
IDEAL GAMES HOST QUALIFICATIONS
– Must be a team player who can adapt to change and maintain a positive attitude
– Must be welcoming, engaging, and represent the organization professionally
– Must be enthusiastic and outgoing with a passion for games, placemaking, and community events
– Must possess good verbal skills. Additional languages are an asset!
– Preference for individual(s) who can attend a minimum of 3 events, and ideally all six events
– Comfortable volunteering outdoors, and standing or sitting for extended periods
– Able to lift or move equipment with a partner: folding chairs, folding tables, games cart, giant jenga, etc.
– Reports to West End Games Night Coordinator
DEADLINE: Until Positions Filled. Seeking several volunteers.
CONTACT: Young Ideas Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-683-2554 ext. 210