Do you enjoy cooking? Are you eager to make an impact in your community? Are you looking to join a team of fun, dedicated, and passionate people? If your answer is yes, Gordon Neighbourhood House is looking for you!
POSTED: April 1st, 2021
START DATE: As soon as possible
DEADLINE: Until position filled
OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE: Two
1 Permanent part-time position (21 hours per week)
1 Temporary part-time position (14 hours per week until fall 2021)
Permanent part-time: $17.12/hour + benefits;
Temporary part-time: $17.12/hour + 4% in lieu of benefits.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic was declared a public health emergency, Gordon Neighbourhood House (GNH) in collaboration with our partners started an emergency frozen meal delivery program.
This program is one of several initiatives GNH has launched to improve food access in the community during the pandemic, and seek permanent solutions to the persistent and systemic causes of food insecurity in our neighbourhood.
Every week, we prepare and freeze 250 made-from-scratch meals, which are then delivered directly to participants via Shift bicycle couriers. Since the program started, our food team has prepared over 9,000 delicious and nutrient-rich meals that feature diverse menu options, while accommodating participant dietary restrictions.
We are looking for two part-time team members who will be responsible for preparing, cooking, and portioning 250-300 meals every week. This is a hands-on kitchen role. Examples of meals could include: vegetarian curries, spaghetti, stews, macaroni & cheese, stir fries, peanut stews, casseroles, chili, tofu bowls, etc.
– Prepare food for emergency frozen meal delivery program
– Follow FoodSafe health and safety procedures at all times
– Cook meals using recipes from our monthly menu
– Prepare ingredients and cook delicious and healthy food
– Heat and cool meals to required temperatures
– Portion and plate meals
– Clean and sanitize kitchen, equipment, and utensils
– Ensure meals are prepared on time and within our budget
– Maintain kitchen tidiness and ensure supplies and equipment are clean and organized
– Set-up, clean, and sanitize work stations
– Clean, wash, and sanitize equipment, dishes, and utensils
– Complete program-related records and documentation
– Estimate expected ingredient requirements and coordinate preparation
– Prepare ingredients for cooking: washing, peeling, chopping, seasoning, etc.
– Safely operate oven, grill, dishwasher, appliances, hand tools, and utensils
– Ensure prepared food reaches required heating and cooling temperatures
– Portion meals into individual containers
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
– Food Safe Certificate
– One year related experience or an equivalent combination of education and training
– Ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time efficiently
– Ability to work in a team environment or independently
– Self-motivated and directed
– Physical endurance to stand and move during the length of the entire shift
– Ability to stand, sit, kneel, bend, move, complete repetitive motions, and lift up to 25 pounds
LOCATION: Gordon Neighbourhood House (1019 Broughton Street, Vancouver)
Gordon Neighbourhood House is open to staff Monday to Friday between 9:00am-5:00pm during the pandemic. Shifts will take place during regular operating hours. The hours of this position are dependent on funding and may increase if additional funding is secured, or if new programs are introduced.
Please e-mail your resume, and a brief description detailing why you would be a great fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Community Program Worker’ in the subject line (no phone calls please).
This is an internal and external posting. We thank all interested applicants; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Gordon Neighbourhood House is a proud member of the Association of Neighbourhood Houses of BC (ANHBC), which is an equal opportunity employer. We place a high value on diversity and encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds and identities to consider applying for the position. Our total compensation and benefits package reflects our commitment to our staff and their family. For more information about Gordon Neighbourhood House, visit www.gordonhouse.org.