Increasing the accessibility of Gordon Neighbourhood House is a work in progress. If you have thoughts our suggestions on the accessibility of Gordon Neighbourhood House we encourage you to contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone: 604-283-2554 or speaking to us at the front desk.
- We give guests to our Community Lunch Program the option to let us know of dietary restrictions in advance so that we can try to accommodate them.
- When requested in advance someone can be made available to assist those who cannot serve food to themselves e.g. if shaking prevents someone from being able to pour from a jug.
- Free Water is available in foyer
- Free organic and fair trade coffee is available in the lobby (sugar and cream provided)
- We have an elevator for access to the second floor program spaces
- Our elevator cab, common corridors, and program room doors provide adequate clearance for wheelchairs or mobility devices
- We have a wheelchair accessible washroom on the first floor, complete with grab bars, and baby change table. The design is compliant with the 2014 Building Access Handbook.
- Our reception desk has a lowered section for interacting with persons in wheelchairs or mobility devices
- We have tactile warning surfaces and high contrast finishes to assist the visually impaired
- We have a cane detection railing under our staircase to assist the visually impaired
- We have an accessible parking space available, please call in advance to use
- Bike racks are available outside the Gordon Neighbourhood House
- Event participants are encouraged to reduce the use of scented products such as colognes or perfumes
- Meditation & Prayer: We are happy to provide a quiet space for meditation and prayer.
- We work to avoid language that erases non gender binary identified folk, e.g. “Ladies and gentlemen”
- Eligibility to use any gendered space or service is defined by self-identity, not sex assigned at birth or how others read an individual’s gender expression
- Identification is not required to participate in any program at Gordon Neighbourhood House.
- Most of our programs and initiatives are under $5 or are based on the Pay-What-You-Can model.
- There are sometimes opportunities to attend an event for free by volunteering at it.